Just in case you didn’t see it yet, I am so excited about what Jürgen Moßgraber aka MOSS did. He created a whole song with the K1v. Except for some FX, there are only K1v instances in his music track. When listening to it, it instantly reminds me of the 80s. Thank you very much Jürgen for doing this! 👍😊
During past weeks, I worked a lot on the User Interface. For faster iteration times, I did the layout in Unity3D and wrote an exporter to create an xml and bitmaps for VSTGUI. This allowed me to do adjustments to the layout very quickly:
The first layouts that I posted some time ago had to get some updates. I forgot a section to set the name of a Preset and the Play mode page had to get some additional buttons, plus a search box to find presets quickly.
Some people pointed out that it would be better to have all sources on one page for faster editing. I tried it, but it just didn’t fit on one page properly. I didn’t want to ruin the design completely and the editing functionality is already really good in my opinion.
For the emulation engine, I had to do some minor finishing touches and fixed some bugs:
Ring Modulation didn’t behave correctly when being set to reverse mode
Fixed ring modulation caused envelopes to be applied twice, resulting in wrong decay & release behaviour
Implementation of Poly 2, Poly 1 and Mono modes was still missing
K1v will now correctly respond to Sysex messages, just as a real K1 does
Support to mix Source levels with the Joystick
Some code fixes to support 64 bit compilation
Midi: Pan, Main Volume, Program Change including Bank Select, Hold Pedal, All Notes Off
State serialization to make it possible that the state is saved as part of a DAW project
I still get requests related to my Universal Manager sometimes. Its a program I created 18 years ago, the latest update now being 15 years old. It was a litte tool that was able to talk to MIDI hardware to exchange & organize presets.
Recently, a mail arrived regarding Windows 10 compatibility issues / crashes.
I completely forgot about that litte, but very helpful program. Due to the fact that I work on a K1 emulation VSTi and I have to test a lot on a real K1 to do this, this program came in very handy.
So i converted that old project to a recent version of my development environment, cleaned up the code, even found some issues that I was able to fix and added some improvements. And of course, I added support for the Kawai K1.
Feel free to grab the latest version here. Changes:
Upgraded development environment to fix Windows 10 compatibility issues
Fixed memory corruption issue when parsing MIDI messages
Open File dialog now remembers the last used extension and preselects it (either .syx or .mid)
You can now load multiple files in Open File dialog by using multi selection
Added ability to specify a checksum starting value for checksum calculation the idf file (see html manual)
Added support for Kawai K1 Single to instrument definition